Michael’s Crunchy Vegan Carrots
This is an old family recipe from my aunt who passed away when I younger. She was such an inspiring women and was always the one pulling our family together, especially with her crunchy cheese carrots. My sister has been making this recipe every year in her memory. I’ve tweaked it so it’s S.W. friendly—i.e. gluten and dairy-free. Half the recipe for a family smaller than 4!
5 tbsp Vegan Butter
1/2 cup Crushed Gluten Free Corn Flakes
1/3 cup Chopped Onion
3 tbsp Coconut Flour
1 tsp Salt
1/8 tsp pepper
1 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk (unflavored if possible)
1 cup grated vegan cheddar cheese (mild)
4 cups cooked carrots
1. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Melt 2 tbs vegan butter and mix 1/2 cup crushed gluten free corn flakes to the melted butter. Set Aside
3. Melt 3 tbs butter in a frying pain. Saute onions, let sweat.
4. Stir in flour, salt, pepper and gradually stir in the coconut flour until smooth.
5. Add cheese and stir until smooth
6. Place the cooked carrots in a baking dish and mix cheese sauce. Top with corn flakes.
7. Place in the oven for 20 mins.